HERE ARE SOME OF MY FAVORITE RECIPES
Sweet & Spicy BLT
The classic bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich is dressed up in the Derby Day tradition in the colors of Cinco de Mayo red (tomato), green (lettuce) and white (classic French box loaf slices, served gently and lightly toasted. To make a platter of quartered sandwiches you will need.
· Bacon as directed below
· Chipotle Mayonnaise as directed
· 12 slices white French Box Loaf bread
· 1/2 Iceberg Lettuce, washed and dried
· 1 head Boston or Bibb lettuce washed and dried
· 4 truly ripe heirloom red tomatoes ready to eat.
Lightly toast the slices of bread. Spread 1 tablespoon Chipotle mayo on each slice of toasted bread. (More or less, to taste). Add 1-2 slicse of each lettuce to 4 pieces of mayo-spreaded toast. Arrange 3 slices of bacon evenly on top of tomato. (Break bacon slices in half to fit, if needed.). Add 2 slices of tomato on top of lettuce. Put the remaining 4 pieces of mayo-spreaded toast on top to finish the sandwiches. Cut into triangle quarters and serve.
Brown Sugar Pepper Bacon
Warning. This meat candy is addictive.
· 1 lb. thick slice peppercorn crusted bacon
· 1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
1. Arrange bacon in a single layer in an aluminum foil-lined broiler pan. Cover evenly with brown sugar.
2. Bake at 425° for 25 minutes or until done.
3.Quarter each slice; let stand 2 to 3 minutes or until sugar is set.
Combine all ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Keep refrigerated
for up to 1 week.
· 1 cup Best Foods mayonnaise
· 1 Chipotle pepper in Adobo, finely chopped (a second can be used to taste)
· 1 green onion, finely chopped
· 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
· 1 teaspoon lime juice
· pinch kosher salt
· 2 twists freshly ground pepper
Jacquelyn Pobst, Bar Manager
Doc Crow's, Louisville, Kentucky
· 2-3 oz Four Roses Yellow Label
· 2 tsp sugar
· 12 Mint leaves
· Club Soda
· Garnish: Mint sprigs and Orange slice
Gently crush mint leaves in a cool tall glass. (Lightly muddle the mint and sugar with a splash of soda water in a mixing glass.) Fill the glass with cracked ice. Add Four Roses, club soda and stir well. Garnish with a slice of orange and a few sprigs of mint, and serve.
A Paloma cocktail is a taller, cooler Tequila drink starring freshly squeezed
grapefruit juice. Many of us still have yellow juice bombs hanging from the
trees in our yard ( or our neighbors) this is a bright way to use the last
specimens. The peppery notes of the grapefruit oils and the bitter backbone
of the juice are delightful refreshment.
· 2 oz Casa Noble Crystal
· Fresh Grapefruit Juice
· 1/2 oz Fresh Lime Juice
· Splash of Fizz
· Pour ingredients over ice